All eyes will be the week’s First Friday, which could offer a telling sign for the future look of the popular monthly event.
On Friday, Aug. 2, the block of King Street between Loudoun and Market streets will close to vehicular traffic as part of a “Stroll the Streets” running in correlation with First Friday. It’s an undertaking by 27 South owner and Economic Development Commissioner Nick McCarter, who is footing the bill for the event as a test case of sorts for potentially a longer conversation about whether a King Street closure should be a regular occurrence on First Friday.
McCarter is hoping that the street closure will make First Friday more of a draw for young families and others who don’t want to battle the crowded sidewalks and instead could use the empty street to walk around the downtown area.
“We’re really excited to see this small change deliver big results for all of the Leesburg friends and families strolling the streets for First Friday,” McCarter said this week.
“The Town of Leesburg supports the Frist Friday events. The road closure, while it will require a detour, will allow the crowds to move freely in and around all the businesses on King Street. This will add a new element to the Frist Friday experience,” Mayor Kelly Burk said. “I look forward to walking around to all the small businesses every Frist Friday, I am very interested to see how it all goes.”
The street closure is expected to run from 6:30-10 p.m. Friday.
Events for Friday, Aug. 2
- LOUDOUN STREET:
- 6:30-9:30 Peter Lapp. Trungo’s is hosting live music with singer/guitarist, Peter Lapp, who specializes in acoustic interpretations of classic and alternative rock songs to include Bon Jovi, U2, Foo Fighters, Tom Petty, Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash, Mumford & Sons and many more.
Location: 2C Loudoun St. SW
- 6:30-9:30 Country Duo. Bike TrAle Brewery is hosting Feehan Brothers, a country duo from Haymarket, featuring Connor and Brendan, who are true singer/songwriters with a story to tell. They recently recorded their songs in Nashville, so come on by to hear some good old country tunes.
Location: 101 Loudoun St. SE
- 6:00-9:00 Pop Music. Lou Lou Boutique is hosting live music with acoustic guitarist, Taylor Jackson, singing some contemporary pop and rock tunes.
Location: 9 Loudoun St. SW
- 6:30-8:30 New Art Show. Loudoun Street Studios is featuring their newest resident artist, Bethany Widom, along with new artwork by Libby Stevens and Carol Buswell. Stop by to check out all the cool artwork by these very talented local artists and learn about upcoming classes and workshops. Light refreshments served.
Location: 2A Loudoun St. SW (upper level).
- 5:00-8:00 History Open House. The Loudoun Museum is featuring history exhibits, showcasing a variety of artifacts from Loudoun County’s past centuries. Stop by to check out their newest history exhibits to explore and learn a little about your County’s past.
Location: 16 Loudoun St. SW
- 6:00-9:00 Local Potters. Resourceful Woman is hosting the Leesburg Vintage Potters which is made up of a talented group of senior citizens from the Leesburg Senior Center, that hand-build and hand-paint beautiful pottery items. These unique items are reasonably priced and make great gifts for all occasions. As a non-profit group, all proceeds benefit the Senior Center ceramics studio.
Location: 11-A Loudoun St. SW
- 6:00-9:00 Book Signing. Books and Other Found Things host monthly “meet the author” events with local authors to discuss and sign copies of their books. This month’s author will be announced on their facebook page.
Location: 13 Loudoun St. SW
- 6:00-9:00 Photos from Asia. Photoworks is hosting a photography exhibit by student, Jack Huddleston and photos from his backpacking trip around Southeast Asia, many of which detail important narratives on topics such as sustainable travel, eco-tourism, and human-animal conflict. Jack is a 19 year-old Environmental Studies student at Eckerd College, who is concerned about the many pressing issues in today’s world and documents them so more people are aware.
Location: 2A Loudoun St. SW
- 6:00-9:00 Horses! Art Sweet Art is hosting a solo exhibit by Isabelle Truchon entitled ROAM, inspired by wild mustangs of the Steens Mountain Wilderness region of Oregon. There will also be wine tasting with October One Vineyard and live music by the Fourte Cello Choir, along with Belgian Chocolates.
Location: 2B Loudoun St. SW
- 6:00-9:00 Jewelry & Music. Madisonbelle is hosting a jewelry trunk show featuring Melania Clara Jewelry along with live music by guitarist, Tyler Scheerschmidt.
Location: 5 W. Loudoun St.
- 6:30-8:30 Classical Guitar. Balls of Glory, downtown’s newest restaurant, is hosting Chris Meyer, playing classical guitar songs to entertain your soul. At Balls of Glory, they are experts in all things meatballs, so stop by to welcome this fun new eatery to historic downtown Leesburg.
Location: 15 E. Loudoun St.
- 7:00-10:00 Blues & Rock. The 14 Loudoun bar and restaurant is featuring an outdoor concert by the popular band, Something’s Brewing, playing everything from classic rock, acoustic and electric rock/pop to folk, old and new.
Location: 14 Loudoun St. SE
- 6:00-9:00 Moon Photo Show. Medlin Art Gallery is hosting a special photography exhibit celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Apollo 11 Moon Landing. Stop by to check out these amazing photos! They are also showcasing a large selection of antique prints, maps and original artwork by nationally-known artist. Light refreshments served.
Location: 2 Loudoun St. SE
- 6:00-8:30 Vintage Music. Dig! Records & Vintage is hosting an open house featuring his used LP’s, 45’s, vintage clothing and a selection of turntables, receivers and audio gear. They specialize in PUNK, 60’s Garage, Psych, Soul/funk, Jazz, Alternative, Hip-Hop and of course, Rock-n-Roll. Get on down to this awesome shop to check out the tons of 45’s from the 50’s, 60’s, and 70’s, as they buy, sell and trade 7-inch, 10-inch, 12-inch, and Cassette Tapes.
Location: 212C Loudoun St. SE
- MARKET STATION AREA:
- 6:30-8:30 Acoustic Rock. Designer Goldsmith is featuring the acoustic guitar duo, Laurie Blue and Bill Rose, playing a variety of rock from the 60s through today that you can sing along with.
Location: Market Station –Lower Level.
- 7:00-10:00 Music and Art. Crooked Run Brewing is featuring live music with the Sweet Maple Singers who will be playing an array of Folk music. They are also hosting an art show by the artist known as Jasper.
Location: Market Station Lower Level.
- 5:00-9:00 Funk Music. MacDowell Brew Kitchen is hosting an outdoor concert with the Mystery Machine band who will take the beach stage to kick-off the weekend. These cool cats sure know how to play, by putting the “fun” in funk rock!
Location: 202-B Harrison St.
- 6:00-7:00 Free Yoga Lesson. Flow Yoga is offering a FREE fun-filled yoga practice, which is open to all experience levels.
Location: Market Station – 3rd floor.
- 6:00-9:00 Wine Tasting. Visit Loudoun is hosting a wine tasting event with Tarara Winery, along with an art exhibit by local artist, Lori Simmerman Goll. Light refreshments offered.
Location: Market Station – Lower Level.
- KING STREET:
- 6:30-10:00 Stroll the Street. 27 South Interiors is hosting an event called Stroll the Street, as the part of South King Street between Loudoun and Market will be closed to vehicular traffic, so people have more space to stroll around. There will not be any vendors, booths or sales going on in the closed area. Aside from large groups and families with children being able to walk safely on this one block of King Street, the rest of Leesburg First Friday is as usual. The shop is also hosting a wine tasting event with Stone Tower Winery. Stop by their lovely home décor boutique, which features high quality home furnishings and accessories, made all around the globe.
Location: 27 S. King St.
- 6:30-8:30 Barber Shop Music. Sona Bank is hosting The Old Dominion Chorus, the County’s premier a cappella chorus of men, who will be singing barber shop songs and some cool show tunes.
Location: 1 E. Market St.
- 6:30-9:30 Acoustic Tunes. SideBar is hosting the Acoustic Autumn Trio, playing classic rock songs in a way that allows people to hear the song in a new and fresh way. The trio consists of friends; Michael Bronson, Doug Traxler and Burt LeJune, who have been playing together since 2004, covering hits by Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Eagles, Beatles and many more.
Location: 24 S. King St.
- 7:00-10:00 The Temps. The King’s Tavern and Wine Bar is hosting a fun concert on their back patio with The Temps, a rock band featuring vocalist, Helen Salko, Colin Bertoglio on lead guitar, Aaron Bertoglio on drums and Ara Bagdasarian on bass. They play a wide range of awesome tunes from rock and folk to bluegrass and blues.
Location: 19 S. King St.
- 6:00-9:00 Tasting with Music. Very Virginia Shop is hosting acoustic guitarist, Brittany Frazer, playing some contemporary pop and rock songs. They are also featuring a tasting event of a new locally made peanut butter with unusual flavors, such as Coconut Bliss and Chocolate Delight. You can also taste free samples of over 20 different flavors of Virginia peanuts and other locally made gourmet foods.
Location: 16 S King St.
- 6:00-9:00 Music and Art. King Street Coffee is featuring live music by Gary Rudinsky, along with many talented students from the music department of Loudoun County High School. Plus, an art exhibit will be on display by their Artist of the Month, Sarmad Rafiq.
Location: 110 S. King St.
- 6:00-9:00 Yum! Gruto’s Ice Cream Shop is featuring their yummy soft serve ice cream, which they make locally with love. Stop by to see how this little parlor is all about having a good time while enjoying delicious and affordable ice cream!
Location: 107 S, King St.
- 6:00-9:00 DJ ZBreezy. Bites Wine and Grilled Cheese Bar is hosting music from DJ ZBreezy, on their front porch with an extended happy hour!
Location: 105 S. King St.
- 6:00-8:00 Pop Music. The Leesburg Diner is hosting live music with vocalist, Kaylynn Breland and Aidan Preshong on acoustic guitarist, playing some nice soft rock songs.
Location: 9 S. King St.
- 6:30-8:30 Rock Duo. Coldwell Banker is featuring a local rock duo, David Stoll on guitar and Jennifer Warren Baker on keys, playing an array of rock, blues, country and maybe even a little bit of jazz.
Location: 25 S. King St.
- 6:30-8:30 Piano Music. Misguided Angels is hosting pianist, Ben Ellis, playing a variety of piano tunes from yesterday and today.
Location: 14 S. King St.
- 6:30-8:30 Sax Music. The Lucky Knot, an ultimate preppy store with a nautical flair, is featuring with saxophonist, Manuel Estrada, a talented high schooler, performing an array of lively jazz tunes.
Location: 9 N. King St.
- 6:00-8:30 Rockabilly. Shoes Cup and Cork is featuring one of their absolute favorite live music groups, Cadillac Romeos Trio, playing rockabilly and old country. They always bring tremendous talent and personality to all of their live shows!
Location: 17 N. King St.
- 6:00-9:00 Living Art. Be Beauty is hosting a live art demonstration with their new monthly Live Art paintings. Stop by to learn more about this fascinating art event and check out all their amazing custom makeup.
Location: 13 S. King St.
- 6:00-9:00 Music and Wine. The Brick and Mortar Store is hosting live piano music by students from The Catoctin School of Music, along with wine tasting with October One Vineyard. Stop by to check out Leesburg’s new shop on the corner.
Location: 34 S. King St.
- 7:00-9:00 Acoustic Duo. Georgetown Café is hosting Crossing Eden, an acoustic duo from Herndon with Mike Betti on guitar and Lisa Olsen on baritone ukulele, playing stripped down rock and folk songs from the 60s through today.
Location: 19 S. King St.
- 6:00-9:00 Soda Pop. The Sunflower Shack, in their new location, is featuring an old fashioned soda Tasting. Bring the family out to sample over a dozen varieties of nostalgic crème sodas, root beers and sarsaparillas!
Location: 36 S. King St.
- 6:00-1:00 Andy Hawk. King’s Tavern and Wine Bar is hosting locally acclaimed Andy Hawk and his Train Wreck Endings band from 6-8:30, consisting of several local music legends. Afterward, from 9-1am, it’s open mike night featuring a wide array of musicians.
Location: 19 S. King St.
- 6:00-9:00 Free Chair Massages. The Leesburg Spa, a brand new massage salon right in the heart of downtown, is hosting an open house event with free chair massages.
Location: 10 S. King St. Upper Level.
- 9:00-12:00 Soul Music. The Tarbenders Lounge is hosting their house band, The Soul Benders Jazz Trio, playing an array of jams from Blues, Funk and of course, Jazz. Stop by so you can dance the night away.
Location: 10 S. King St.
- 6:00-9:00 Wine and Music. The Leesburg Vintner is hosting monthly wine specials with wine by the glass. Also from 7-9pm, they will have live music with vocalist, Cindy McConnell, performing acoustic guitar folk/rock covers.
Location: 27 S. King St.
- MARKET STREET:
- 6:30-8:30 Pop Music. Trinity House Café is hosting pop singer, Diana Flynn who was on the ABC reality television series, American Idol in Buffalo New York. As a singer/songwriter, she is turning heads in the music industry with her uniquely haunting sound. Originally from upstate New York, Flynn expanded her roots to Nashville where she is currently creating her first EP, touring, and captivating her online audience of over 20,000 monthly listeners. Diana’s recent performance of “Lost in Japan” went viral reaching over 650,000 people and was featured on Buzzfeed. “(Diana’s performance) literally melted my heart” –Buzzfeed.
Location: 101 E. Market St. (corner of Market and Church St.)
- 6:00-9:00 Rock Jam! Plum Grove Cyclery is hosting live music with the rock band, Nailed It, playing an array of fun rock tunes. They will be rockin’ and rolling at this awesome bike shop. Stop by to check out these cool dudes.
Location: 120 E Market Street
- 6:00-9:00 Two Art Exhibits. The Tryst Gallery is featuring the premier receptions of two new shows! The first show is from their Tryst FM series, The Chill Pop Exhibition. Their featured artist this month is the Ute Gil with her Outside My Window exhibition. Stop by to check out all the amazing artwork by over 40 local artists! Light refreshments.
Location: 312 E. Market St.
- 7:00-10:00 Jazz Piano. Casa Nostra, downtown newest Italian restaurant, is hosting live music by the City Limits Jazz Trio, featuring locally acclaimed Andrew Hart, as the piano man.
Location: 2 W. Market St.
- 6:00-9:00 Quilt Exhibit. The Leesburg Commission on Public Art is hosting a new art display at Town Hall with art from the Countryside Quilters and Waterford Quilters Guilds. The quilters were invited to share their summer memories of Loudoun County by featuring the agrarian part of Loudoun County. Entitled “Summer in Loudoun County,” the exhibit showcases nine quilts which feature local wineries, country landscapes, and the Loudoun County Fair, just to name a few. This local art exhibit is sponsored by the Loudoun Breast Health Network, a non-profit providing assistance to the local residents, who are going through breast cancer treatment. The artwork will be on display throughout the summer until August 31, 2019.
Location: 25 W. Market St.
- ROYAL STREET:
- 6:00-9:00 Art and Wine. The Fine Gallery is hosting an open house with wine tasting and a new art exhibit. This gallery is equal parts contemporary art gallery and educational art provider, focusing on an immersive art learning experience.
Location: 9 Royal St. SW
- 7:00-9:00 Craft Night. Makersmiths is hosting a craft night and open house to showcase the wide array of things you can make at this local makerspace. You can take a tour and get involved with one of their interactive demonstrations. Check out their woodshop, metal shop, 3D printing, CAD, CNC, crafts, and ceramics studio. Makersmith is building a community of Makers by providing a facility with tools, training and other enabling resources.
Location: 106 Royal St. SW
- WIRT STREET:
- 6:00-9:00 CBD Shop. The District Hemp Boutique is hosting an open house to showcase their new location in downtown Leesburg. They are the first hemp-based CBD store in the area and have a wide array of hemp products with naturally occurring cannabinoids, ranging from oils to hemp-infused dog treat. Stop by to check out Leesburg’s new shop and enjoy some light refreshments.
Location: 19 Wirt St.
Location: 19 Wirt St.